The most important prospect of using an email is using it as a method to communicate with the recipient, undoubtedly the success of communication is also reliant on the time of delivery of the said email. For example, suppose you are living in the United States whereas your client lives in Russia. There is about a 13hour difference in the time frame so it is highly impractical to be present online as your client. In the said scenario the applicability of scheduling an email comes into practice. The Microsoft Outlook “Schedule an email” feature gives you the ability to do so. Using this feature, you can set up the exact time Outlook should send the mails.
Now that we know what it means to schedule an Email, let’s look at the steps to do so:
Step 1: Start composing a new email
- Open the outlook window on the browser or app.
- In the Home menu, click on ‘New email’.
- Fill the required details like name of the recipient, subject and the content etc.
Step 2 : Set up the delivery time
It is recommended to set the delivery time at this particular point during the process. For doing so, follow the given instructions :
- On the screen, click on the Options button.
- Then, navigate the ‘Delay Delivery’ icon towards the right side of the screen.
- In the respective pop up window, scroll the Delay Delivery popup window and check the ‘Do not Deliver Before checkbox.
- Now, choose the date and time at which you want to have Outlook send the message from the drop down menu to the right.
- It is very important to take into consideration the time from the drop down menu.Make sure the AM and PM options are set appropriately.
- Then, click on the close button and return to the email message window.
Step 3: Changing your mind on the scheduled message
Another advantage that comes with scheduling your mail beforehand is that if you change your mind regarding anything in your email, you can make the respective changes while the email is still in the outbox. There are also other settings that are allowed to be changed before the email is in the Outbox. These include :
- Changing the scheduled time
If you wish to change the scheduled time for your email to be sent, you can easily do that using the following method :
- Open the email in your outbox.
- Select the ‘Options and Delay delivery’ option.
- From the pop up window, remove the check mark from the ‘Do not Deliver Before checkbox’.
- Now, if you click on the send option, the email gets sent immediately.
There’s also another method that you can use to change the scheduled time for your email :
- In the right corner of your email window, look for the “Options* button and click on it.
- In the pop up window, look for the ‘Do Not Deliver Before’ checkbox and make sure it is checked.
- Now, close the window.
- When you click on send, outlook will reschedule the email to be sent on a new date and time.
2.Editing a message in the outbox
- First and foremost, select the message that you want to change.
- Make the desired changes in the email.
- Now click on send again. This enables you to reschedule the email.
3. Delete a scheduled message
If you wish to delete the email which is scheduled to be sent on a particular date and time, you can delete it before the scheduled time using the following method :
- Right click on your email.
- A pop up menu appears from which you have to select the ‘Delete’ option.
- This deletes the email.
PREREQUISITES TO SCHEDULING AN EMAIL
There are also a few things that you should keep in mind before scheduling the email. These are :
- The first thing that you need to make sure is that you have an active internet connection.
- Make sure that you double check the scheduled date and time so that there is no error.